Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Infinite canvas

A friend of mine introduced me to the work of Scott McCloud, for which I am immensely grateful. I re-watched a lecture of his many times, and it can be found through this link.

The part of his presentation that struck me most was his talk of unconventional narratives. He mentions circular narratives and parallel narratives rather than the standard left to right comic layout. This blew my mind because I never really appreciated the possibilities that can be taken with this. What if there was a comic that had a layout like a spider-web? The sky’s the limit in this respect.

What I would mainly be concerned about when designing such layouts for comics is practicality. Would readers like experiencing such unorthodox comic layouts? The danger of breaking the mold too much would be that it would be too distracting and focus too much attention away from the story, which is the most important part of comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment