Saturday, November 21, 2009

Fantasia




As a kid, I was enthralled with the Disney movies, to the point of wearing out the tapes. In fact, I watched these films so much, my parents would sometimes "lose" several videos so that they can watch something else on television. Despite my love of Disney films, I never really understood Fantasia. The first time I watched it, I felt a bit detached since there was a lack of dialogue. What drove the whole film was music and pure animation.

As an aspiring animator looking back now, I can now appreciate Fantasia as a masterpiece. Everything about the film is iconic, from the dancing hippo to the army of brooms overwhelming Mickey. The music complemented the visuals immensely, reinforcing how the characters were feeling on screen. If there ever was a perfect artform, this film would be it. Fantasia has everything from painting, acting, animation, and music. In my opinion, the possibilities of art synthesis were explored here and are just the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment