Wednesday, November 25, 2009

IMA

I went to the Indianapolis Museum of Art recently and noticed a blank canvas on the wall in the Contemporary Art exhibit. I considered the piece at first, but the piece left me cold. I don't have a problem with found objects being art, since I can appreciate the difference between its former meaning and current one, as well as looking at the object in a new light. However, when I'm confronted with a blank canvas, which is meant to actually be a painting, I become skeptical. I guess this is because I already have a set criteria for paintings such as design and composition. Once I read the description, I can appreciate the work better. I guess with paintings, I expect to feel moved, rather than forced to read a description about what the artwork means. This goes for any work of art though.

No comments:

Post a Comment