Thursday, December 17, 2009

Review of Corpse Bride




I recently re-watched Corpse Bride after many years. After reviewing the film a few times, I have picked up on new things that I didn't consciously think about when it first came out. The film was directed by Mike Johnson and Tim Burton, the latter of which produced 1993's A Nightmare Before Christmas. Honestly, I expected a lot from Corpse Bride based on the success of its predecessor. Although the film, to me, didn't leave as much of an impact on me as did A Nightmare Before Christmas, I still believe it is a good animated movie.

The animation looks polished but still retains the charm of stop-motion's slight rawness. The art style of the film is spectacular, using juxtaposing elements to emphasize the story. For example, the protagonist Victor lives in Victorian town, where the color scheme is deliberately cold, in order to convey oppression and conformity. On the other hand, once Victor enters the realm of the dead, the color scheme changes to vibrant colors, representing life and liberation.

No comments:

Post a Comment